Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Is there a solution for transmitting tap Tempo from BH to devices?

Started by Uwe, November 03, 2017, 09:59:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

arlo

On what CC? Or is the F8 FA and FB the cc?

MIDI Beat Clock messages are not CC messages. They were designed for communicating tempos, while CC (control change) messages were designed for changing settings.

I still can't understand why there is no simple tap tempo in BH.

I explained earlier in this thread how you can set up a tap tempo button. But using that to automatically set a predefined tempo is contradictory to how tap tempo is supposed to work -- that would be a hack to work around a lack of functionality in the receiving device.

rmarton123

I think you're missing the point. The song has a bpm entry. We enter the BPM for each song? BH can translate that into a beat via lights and or Playing an audible beat.

Why can't the Audible/Light beat in the BH APP be automatically sent as a master MIDI Clock to a superior Guitar Floorboard like the Fractal FX8 which can receives midi sync.

You have an extensive help tutorial on Beat Buddy. You've obviously went to the work in order for this option to work with something. Is it not possible to extend it to other devices other then Beat Buddy?

arlo

Why can't the Audible/Light beat in the BH APP be automatically sent as a master MIDI Clock to a superior Guitar Floorboard like the Fractal FX8 which can receives midi sync.

It can. All you have to do is turn on Settings > Tempo & Pitch > Send MIDI Beat Clock, then play the tempo for a song.

You have an extensive help tutorial on Beat Buddy. You've obviously went to the work in order for this option to work with something. Is it not possible to extend it to other devices other then Beat Buddy?

I had a lot of requests for BeatBuddy integration.

I think part of the confusion here is that the original author of this thread was asking for a different function than you're requesting now, so my answers for the two of you have been slightly different. I think rmarton123 is asking for a function that's similar to MIDI beat clock, but uses arbitrary control change messages, for devices that have implemented a MIDI sync function in a non-standard way. Uwe was asking for a function to simulate someone pressing a Tap Tempo button, for devices that haven't implemented any MIDI sync function at all, but do have a tap tempo function.

Uwe

Quote from: arlo on February 07, 2019, 06:29:12 PM
Uwe was asking for a function to simulate someone pressing a Tap Tempo button, for devices that haven't implemented any MIDI sync function at all, but do have a tap tempo function.

Yes, thats the case.
BTW I'm still not happy about using automation for this problem.

rmarton123

I just setup Midi sync which uses MTC to my device. My device automatically recognizes MTC/SMTPE. So I hooked up my computer to my device and picked various midi files with differing Tempos and when I played them they automatically changed the Tempo on my FX8 from Fractal. So I know the floorboard accepts Timecode MTC/SMTPE.

I connected the Android device with BeatBuddy turned on and the Send Beatbuddy Tempo and set the correct Midi Channel and played the beat in the song. Lights flashed I heard the audio beat but the FX8 tempo was not changed.

Thus this feature isn't working the way I expected.

Am I missing something? Should I be loading midi files into the songs with the beat I want transmitted and play them? Will this fix my issue?

arlo

BandHelper uses MIDI Beat Clock, not SMPTE or other syncing mechanisms. Therefore BandHelper can only sync tempos with other devices that support MIDI Beat Clock.

rmarton123

SMTPE/MTC is a standard for all pro midi devices. Can this be added to to BH. If you do research on Midi Clock sync the Beat Clock isn't even mentioned but there's tons of stuff on SMTPE/MTC. All pro music software provides that method of Sync'ng Time/Tempo to Pro Hardware.

rmarton123

Here is an excerpt from my FX8

"System Real-Time Clock Commands FX8 Global Tempo syncs automatically to MIDI Beat Clock.
4. Use an external MIDI device to transmit MIDI Clock to the MIDI IN of the FX8.
5.Use an external MIDI Device to transmit CC# pulses (the default is CC#14)."

OK now how do I set Band Helper to transmit the beat clock. Because it's not working?

I have a song I have Tempo I have working Beat and the light and sound is present but the Beat Clock is not transmitted to the FX8

I have a setting that says Enable Beat Buddy Channel 3 in my case as the FX8 is on Channel 3

I have tried midi via 5 Pin Din and also via USB.  I know my connection works because I can send PC and CC commands and the FX8 responds. But the Beat Clock doesn't.

And further I know my FX8 Works with SMTPE/MTC so the unit is receiving messages from Midi Clocks except Band Helper.

Please help.

rmarton123

"I explained earlier in this thread how you can set up a tap tempo button. But using that to automatically set a predefined tempo is contradictory to how tap tempo is supposed to work -- that would be a hack to work around a lack of functionality in the receiving device."

Here's a statement you made earlier. But the reverse is true. "Tap Tempo" is only a phrase we're using to describe what we want. But you are taking it as that's what we want a "Tap Tempo"

We want the BPM of the Song to provide an automated tempo to an external device. We don't want to manually Tap the Beat using an icon!!!!

I've received your reply about turning on Beat Clock but I don't have the label in my Band Helper. I have Beat Buddy listed.

So please help me/us with this issue. You're not providing any solutions or diagnostics to help us resolve the problem with any of your previous answers. Please come up with a solution. Thank You

rmarton123

Don't get me wrong I really love Bandhelper and it's amazing at what it can do. But your answers to this issue hasn't been very helpful.

rmarton123

I followed all of these steps. But the midi beat clock doesn't translate to the device.

TO SEND TIMING (BEAT CLOCK) MESSAGES

Note: MIDI Beat Clock is not available on Android devices with less than Android 6. (my android is the latest version)

Navigate to Settings > Tempo & Pitch and turn on the "Send MIDI beat clock" option. (My option reads Sned MIDI Beatbuddy) midi tempo
Edit a song and enter a tempo value. You can enter a number, or use the Tap button to set a value.
Save the song to reload the Songs list, or navigate to a set list or smart list, and tap the Tempo button for a song. The icon will begin flashing, and the beat clock messages will be sent.
To send the MIDI beat clock only to a specific port, you can change Settings > Tempo & Pitch > Tempo Options > Send Beat Clock to Port. Otherwise, it will be sent to all available ports. (my port is port 3)

arlo

"Tap Tempo" is only a phrase we're using to describe what we want.

No, this thread was originally about literally using a Tap Tempo function. I should have split this thread when you first posted to it, because you're asking for something different and you're getting confused between the various functions being discussed here.

If you do research on Midi Clock sync the Beat Clock isn't even mentioned but there's tons of stuff on SMTPE/MTC.

With the mobile apps and hardware that my users are working with, Beat Clock is far more common.

If you can't find the Beat Clock function or are having trouble using it, please submit a help ticket:

https://helpdesk.arlomedia.com/arlomedia

Zionplayer

Realizing this is an old thread, didn't know if what I recently found would be helpful at all? Setting tempo BPM on my FX III by sending a number in MIDI:

http://forum.arlomedia.com/index.php/topic,2301.0.html

go2ldook

If what you guys want is to somehow accommodate a device that needs a CC message for a tap tempo function instead of using the Midi Clock from Bandhelper, what you could do is attachba running Midi file to a recording for the song that sends the appropriate CC. I do this to run my entire guitar rig and Looper (though I use the Midi Clock in Bandhelper for timing).

I create the Midi file using the free MidiEditor program. You can then attach it to a backing track: load the track into the song on the song page, then go to the Recordings page and attach your Midi file to the recording.

I use this either with backing tracks, or I make my recording a simple click track. You could even load a completely silent mp3 track if you do not want clicks or backing percussion. Be aware, if you use a backing track or click, there can be a slight timing offset between start of the recording and the Midi file which you will have to figure out and adjust the midi file so that each command is shifted by this offset to line up with your click.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

arlo

Yesterday's release adds a Settings > Tempo & Pitch > Send Custom MIDI .. with Code field that you can use to send whatever MIDI message you want on each beat of the metronome.

All yesterday's changes are listed here:

http://www.bandhelper.com/support/release_notes.html