Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Playing MIDI files with multiple instruments (SLM)

Started by davidgolden99, August 03, 2018, 07:51:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

davidgolden99

I use Set List Maker with two keyboards: a Nord Electro and a microKORG. I have a MIDI file that I want the microKORG to play. (I would also like the MIDI file to loop, but that will be another thread.)

How and where do I specify that the MIDI file is for the microKORG (MIDI channel 2)? Right now the Nord is playing it. I don't have this problem with program changes because both devices are listed in the Program Changes section of the MIDI Presets page.

arlo

You would need to set up your MIDI file so all the messages in it are targeted for the desired channel (and make sure each device is playing the data for a different channel). Does that help?

davidgolden99

That leads me to looking for a MIDI editor where I can enter commands. Any suggestions?

arlo

I don't have a recommendation, but maybe someone else here does?

Ahiru

Quote from: davidgolden99 on August 05, 2018, 05:54:38 AM
That leads me to looking for a MIDI editor where I can enter commands. Any suggestions?

If your objective is to edit an existing MIDI file (e.g. for your microKORG) simply to force the tracks (notes, cc, etc.) it to a specific channel (e.g. channel 2), this is the simplest and cheapest (free) MIDI editor I've found to use in Windows:
https://www.anvilstudio.com/

(I use it for something very similar: editing a existing standard MIDI file (SMF) with a track of note events for a lighting system so it is forced to the right channel for downstream lighting software... open the SMF with Anvil, change the channel number for the track, save, exit.  It does a lot more, but that's all I use it for.)

davidgolden99

Thanks, Ahiru. For Mac, the free editor is Aria Maestosa. http://ariamaestosa.sourceforge.net
I assigned the channel to the MIDI loop, and I downloaded Quantiloop to my iPad, but it looks like I'll need the Pro version to import the MIDI file. Everything is still packed from my gig. I'll let you know how it works when I get set up again.

For reference, the Nord is Channel 1 and the microKORG is Channel 2. I rely on SLM for everything, so if I can get this working it will be really cool.

davidgolden99

Update: Aria Maestosa is tricky because it doesn't show the General MIDI patches in numbered table. I had to click and count to get to #34. I installed Anvil Studio on my work computer (naughty naughty), and it's perfect. It even assigns an even volume to every note. Between Aria Maestosa, Anvil Studio, and the Sweet MIDI app, I got the loop to play on the desired patch on the microKORG when the song starts. I'm not sure, but I'm guessing that if I put the Stop MIDI Sequence preset on the next song, it will stop playing the loop when I go to the next song. Pretty slick!