Before posting, please read: When to use this forum, when to submit a help ticket

Smart copy indicator & edit link

Started by JerryK, January 02, 2020, 01:56:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JerryK

I'd like to see an indication in the Setlists that a song is a Smart Copy version. Maybe a leading asterisk in the Title, maybe an underlined Key, some small thing.
Also, when you go to edit that smart copy (web or tablet) that you get a link/button to optionally edit the original, at least on the Web version but preferably both, as the desired edit may apply to both/all copies.  It is otherwise quite a round trip to navigate to and edit that original, then return to and reload the Smart Copy.

arlo

Would it be appropriate in your situation to update the titles of the smart copies to indicate what's different compared to the original version? That's how I anticipated people would use it.

I can add a shortcut from the smart copy to the original to my wish list.

Ahiru

Quote from: arlo on January 02, 2020, 04:34:14 PM
I can add a shortcut from the smart copy to the original to my wish list.
Second vote for that!

To the OP: I find it handy to use alternate song title colors for Smart Copies, e.g. default is the orignal, other colors for practice versions, other colors for alt arrangements, etc.  Takes no real estate from the song name field and easy to see.

JerryK

Alternate colours is a thought but I already use them to show which of us is singing each song. All 6 band members take lead vocal.

Would changing the title make a song harder to find? Maybe not.
But making that same change by hand to all smart copies seems unnecessarily un-computerised.

Thanks for the link vote, Arlo.

Chris

Instead of using colors, you could use tags instead. These can also be bulk-edited if needed and show in the setlist-overview if desired  :)

Then the colors would be "free" again.

Cheers

JerryK

If I add, say, an asterisk to the start of the smart-copy titles, they will all move to the top of any alphabetised list. Not good.
If I add, say, an asterisk to the end of each smart-copy title, that will become invisible in many songs in the Setlist song list.
A character or other highlight which will just appear on its own but not interfere with sorting would be much more effective and usable.

Chris

Did you try the tags as I proposed in my previous post?
This should exactly serve the purpose you are needing  ???

JerryK

JerryK

A tag works.  Need to keep its name very short or the other things wanted in the setlist will start to disppear off the end of the line.  I would have quite a few to add among about 550 songs but it does work.
As I suggested before though, it's an entirely computer-suited task, perfect for a labour-saving device, so manually tagging seems a shame, since the 'fact' is already known.

arlo

Can you explain in what situation it's useful to know that a song is a smart copy (as you would see from an asterisk) without knowing what is different about the smart copy (as you would see from a different title or a tag)? I feel like an automated indicator would only be useful if you are using all your smart copies for one specific reason that you already know.

By the way, in the Repertoire > Songs list and the Add Songs popup window, smart copies will be grouped together, so adding an asterisk at the start of a title won't make all the smart copies appear at the top.

JerryK

I felt the need to know, particularly if I'm adding more smart copies, often for extra keys but who knows what other reasons (extra verses, different arrangements).
Add a Song - on the fly shows Only the Title but does (I now spotted) add copies in a "#" section for each letter, but without any key information - tricky.

In the regular Set List, it may just be a confidence thing. I can see the key but with a large repertoire, I feel the need to know whether it's my original or a later modification.  Probably just me then - but I find that the fewer things I have to think about, live or even last-minute updates in the dressing room, the easier everything becomes.  I like stuff to be obvious and not require more thought than necessary because I sing, play, run the mixer and either solely or partly, BH too.
I have added tags for now. There - I admitted it.

arlo

In the website and app versions released today, the song edit page has links to any smart copies of that song, and the edit pages of the smart copies have links back to the original copy.

JerryK